Monday, August 29, 2011

Putting the 'Sport' in Sports Car?

One thing that has always amused me is the 'sport' button that can be found in various sports cars. There is one in the Boxster as well. I wonder why. I always forget to press it when I go for drives and it resets every time you turn off the ignition. Wouldn't it be better to have a 'mundane city driving' button instead?

Increase throttle response, tighten up the suspension and change exhaust note are some of the things these buttons do. I remember driving an Audi RS4 (amazing ride) and initially I was wondering what the fuss was all about until I noticed the sports button. Things changed quite dramatically after I pressed it, the car became all the more savage. With automatic transmissions, it changes the way it shifts gears, holding gears longer, allowing for higher revs and thus more power. The 'S' mode in my SLK was like that and it made for a fun ride. It isn't as noticable on the Boxster, engaging it mostly seems to affect the throttle, making it even more eager to go. I guess in city traffic you don't need that. Hence the 'sport' button. Still makes me chuckle though.

No comments:

Post a Comment