Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Boxster

I guess it is time to talk a little bit about my current car. It is a 2005 Porsche Boxster S. I bought it used in March of 2010 from Porsche, certified pre-owned. To me this car is a fantastic tool to get from A to B, enjoying every moment of it. It falls squarely in my optimal category of great cars. Small, two seater, mid-engine, rear wheel drive, convertible. It has one of the best engines on the market, Porsche's flat six making 280hp in the S version. It sounds great, revs hungrily and simply just wants to go, go, go. This is definitely the tightest handling car I have ever owned and feels like a scalpel when dissecting a small twisty mountain road. So yes, I like this car. Some people say it is a poor man's 911, underpowered and so on. They clearly have never driven one. Sure, it is cheaper than a 911 but I think this car is in a class of its own. Kam used to own a 997 and was very impressed with the Boxster, he may very well end up buying one in the not too distant future. Here is a picture:


This was taken during an earlier road trip this summer. A bit backlit, I will take some better pictures later and post them up.

There are drawbacks to this car, it isn't actually that comfortable for longer highway drives. I have to drive down from Vancouver to Redmond on a semi-regular basis for work (visiting the Microsoft head office) and the 3 hour drive is loud and bumpy. But once off the highway and onto a windy road the car transcends all this and becomes a pure joy to pilot around the next bend, up the next mountain pass. This is an experience that cannot be beat and for me, the essence of any road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment